It is common for us at BucketList to hear people say, “My weight is normal. It is just the Belly Fat or paunch or tummy that I want to get rid of. I am looking for foods that will help me burn this”. Do you also face this common fitness problem? In this blog, your queries on belly fat, the lifestyle modifications, and super foods to burn this fat is explained.
We store fat in two different ways in our body. One is called the ‘sub-cutaneous fat’. This is the storage of fat under your skin which you can pinch or hold and feel. The second one is called the ‘visceral fat’. This is stored in the abdominal cavity around various internal organs like pancreas, liver, etc. One cannot pinch and hold this fat. It shows up as pot belly or belly fat.
Reasons for Belly Fat
- Low birth weight or smaller babies.
- Lack of exercise.
- Increased consumption of trans fat and fast foods.
- Excess and frequent alcohol consumption.
- Stress leads to too much production of cortisol hormone which promotes belly fat storage.
- Genetics-Storing excess upper belly fat can occur as a result of a genetic predisposition.
- Hormonal variation in post-menopausal women.
- Ageing can increase belly fat because of moving less and losing muscles.
Below is the list of super foods to burn Belly Fat
Chilli, capsicum, and pepper
Capsaicin the nutrient compound found in these foods help burn fat. It boosts metabolism and also has a thermogenic property. Thermogenesis can promote weight loss because it increases body’s ability to burn more calories. It is a metabolic process during which your body burns calories to produce heat.
Turmeric is a rich source of Curcumin. It prevents fat accumulation in adipose tissues (fat tissues) and other organs and can also decrease the size of existing adipose tissues.
Allyl Disulfide present in garlic helps reduce visceral fat and sub-cutaneous fat as it possesses thermogenic properties.
Cinnamaldehyde, a chemical compound found in cinnamon. It stimulates the metabolism of the fatty tissues which in turn helps reducing belly fat.
Fish, chia seeds, flaxseed, and walnuts
These food varieties are the rich source of omega 3 fatty acids. This fatty acid is proven to enhance the blood flow to muscles during exercising. Thus, increasing body’s potential to burn more fat.
Mushroom and eggs
Mushroom and eggs are a good source of Vitamin D. People with low levels of this vitamin are more prone to belly fat than those who were in normal range. Having the right vitamin D levels helps your body to release adequate leptin. This hormone sends a message to your brain indicating that you’re full and should stop eating.
More common food foods to burn Belly Fat
- Star anise: Compounds like Anethole and linalool present in anise aids in fat loss by boosting body’s metabolic rate. These compounds also possess thermogenic properties thereby promoting fat loss by burning more calories to produce heat.
- Citrus fruits: These fruits are filled with Vitamin C. People with low vitamin C tend to have more stomach fat regardless of overall weight. Vitamin C is required for production of molecules utilised in oxidation and metabolism of fatty tissues. Without sufficient vitamin C, our body is unable to utilise stored fat.
- Yoghurt: Yoghurt is rich source of healthy bacteria like Probiotics. Probiotics inhibit absorption of dietary fat thus increasing the amount of fat excreted in faces. Probiotics also increase the satiety level thus limiting over consumption of food.
Getting rid of Belly Fat is not possible only with super foods.
Try simple lifestyle modifications
- Sleep: Sleeping for less than five-six hours can increase belly fat. People sleeping for eight hours a day gained less belly fat. Target for 6-8 hours of sleep per day.
- Exercise: Including resistance training and high intensity interval training (HIIT) exercises are known to be effective in losing belly fat.
- Sugar: Avoid sugar and even hidden resources of sugar like sweetened dairy, juices, packaged snacks and processed foods.
- Alcohol: Alcohol in moderation is better. Instead drink more plain water, herbal tea or vegetable juices.
- Deep fried food: Avoiding deep fried foods also is known to help get rid of belly fat.
- Portion size: Reduce portion size of meal, stop eating when full.
Bring in a holistic approach by combining methods mentioned above, to burn belly fat for sustained and irreversible changes.