Acne and pimples can rob anyone’s peace at any age! It may also follow the Murphy’s rule of showing up just at the wrong time when you are supposed to look and feel your best! We bring to you the reasons of break outs, how can nutrition help prevent them for the long run and also some home remedies to get rid of them overnight.
Reasons for breakouts
Sebaceous or oil glands present all over the body (except on the palm and sole) have an important role to play of producing sebum which maintains oil balance and makes the skin look healthy. When these glands get infected with bacteria and swell up, it results in an acne outburst. When untreated, acne leaves dark long-lasting scars which are difficult to get rid of. Below are a few reasons for acne:
- Genetics- Chances of pimples reappearing through your lifetime are higher if you have a strong family history of skin issues because of the hyperactive sebaceous gland. Consult a Dermatologist in such cases since home remedies may not work in such cases.
- Hormonal issues– It is quite natural for teenage boys and girls to have acne issues during puberty since the body is getting ready for reproduction. Hormonal changes in adult women during PMS or menopause or even during ovulation can lead to pimples. PCOS condition in women can also be one of the underlying reasons for pimples. Sensitivity to testosterone in both men and women can also trigger acne. Testosterone triggers sebaceous glands to overwork leading to blockage of pores. Sometimes, dead skin cells can get stuck to sebaceous glands further blocking the pores and causing pimples.
- Acne-triggering foods and beverages- Sugary foods, processed foods can trigger acne. Since bacteria thrive on sugar, you may only be further encouraging bacterial growth leading to pimples if you are binging on chocolates or any sugary foods. Oily foods can further increase sebum production worsening acne. Over consumption of dairy products may also be one of the reasons for outburst in a few. Remember to say no to alcoholic beverages and caffeinated drinks like colas or coffees or other energy drinks which can further worsen your skin health.
- Your skin care routine– Picking on pimples can leave stubborn marks. Avoid meddling with it. Rubbing skin too hard while washing face can also aggravate the same. Friction caused by usage of bags, helmets, scarves etc against your face can also be harsh on pimples and leave dark stains. Avoid applying oil-based makeup and choose water based or natural products instead. Sleeping with makeup can further worsen the condition.
- Stress- Neuropeptides are released during stress which can further make your skin go bad during a stressful condition. Adding to it is, emotional eating and skipping exercise which can also affect your skin health.
Foods to get rid of acne
- Hydration-Increasing your water intake is the simplest and most time-tested solution for pimples. You can also choose tender coconut water, fresh lime water or other non-caffeinated infused teas like green tea, peppermint tea etc to improve your hydration levels. Green tea rich in polyphenols help improve blood flow which can improve your overall skin health.
- Pumpkin seeds & sunflower seeds-These seeds are rich in zinc which can positively affect your skin health and keep acne outbursts at bay. Can snack on them with evening tea or use them to add crunch to your salads.
- Greens and other alkaline vegetables-Altering the body pH by consuming more of green leafy vegetables and other alkaline vegetables like beets, cucumber, cauliflower, peas etc can improve alkalinity and reduce acne outbursts.
Home remedies to get rid of acne overnight
- Use crushed ice or ice cubes tied in a soft muslin cloth and place it on areas which are swollen and red with pimples. This improves blood circulation and tightens the skin pore.
- Applying orange juice and orange peel is one of the simplest ways to get rid of pimples. Your high end vitamin C rich face masks also use the same. Rub the peel on the pimples and dab them with orange juice. Leave it for 20-30 minutes and wash off.
- Neem oil and neem powder are powerful in killing bacteria causing pimples. Use cotton bud to apply oil after washing face with luke warm water or mix the powder in water to make paste and leave it overnight for best results.
- Crush 10-12 tulasi leaves and boil it in water for 3-5 minutes. Let it cool. Use a cotton bud to apply it on pimples and marks to reduce inflammation.
- Use freshly cut papaya as a face mask and leave it for 30 minutes before washing off. This can leave your face smooth and glowing.
These are generic remedies. If you are having persistent acne issues, we recommend you to visit a Dermatologist and take necessary medications to prevent the same.
Eating right, exercising regularly, getting sufficient sleep and having a healthy skin care regime can leave you feeling fresh, young and scar-free!
What you put in to your body, shows up on your skin. Learn how to eat right for a glowing you! Sign up with us !